Friday, November 28, 2014

Capitol Reef

Happy Black Friday!  Americans spent $13 billions today?  Well, tomorrow is Small Business Saturday.  If you have AMEX cards, register here and support the local tomorrow.  Today's destination is Capitol Reef National Park.  I was driving and hiking at Capitol Reef National Park on black Friday.  No shopping mall here.




Capitol Reef National Park is a United States National Park found in Utah's Canyon country.  It is encompassed within 378 square miles containing mainly sandstone canyons, ridges, buttes and monoliths.  The park was primarily formed to protect the natural features.  It became a United States National Park in 1971 from being a national monument previously.







Hiking Trail to Hikman Bridge

Hiking Trail to Hikman Bridge


Hiking Trail to Hikman Bridge

Hiking Trail to Hikman Bridge




Hiking Trail to Hikman Bridge



Hickman Bridge
Hickman Bridge is a natural bridge (arch) found in the park which I highly recommend.  Visitors of the park must pass through this bridge to feel it.  Take a loop trail and go under the bridge.  Hiking is not too easy unless you're wearing hiking boots.  The rocks are a bit slippery.  It is just one mile a way from entrance - 2 mile (round trip) hike.


Hikman Bridge










Historic District
Fruita was settled by Mormon pioneers in the 1880's.  Productive orchards still border the Fremont River and Sulphur Creek.  A one-room schoolhouse, farmhouse and blacksmith shop evoke the spirit of earlier times.


Fruita Schoolhouse










You do need a car to visit Capitol Reef National Park.  The park does not have a bus or shuttle service inside.  Take US Highway 24 towards Hanksville.  Stay on Highway 24 for 95 miles and you will reach the visitor center.  


Chimney Rock


Road to Moab, my next stop.


Devil Canyon on I-70






As of today, Nov 28th, I have visited and explored 26 National Parks.  One more tomorrow before heading back to Las Vegas.

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."  -Theodore Roosevelt

8 comments:

  1. What a great place... I am impressed...Thank you Kate you are the best like always...I am your fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recognize your name and your cute dog in your profile photo, Aron. (: I appreciate your visits to my blog. This blog means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. I love how rustic this place looks. I wish I could go here one of these days. Looks like a great time and a lot of great sights. I imagine it looks really beautiful as sun down, and sun rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the short hike at Capitol Reef while I needed some exercise after the long drive. Yes, it must be beautiful at sun rise and sun set. I missed those views.

      Delete
  3. Imagine, you wake up and from window you see all the red cliffs of the Capitol Reef. Or, just sit, sip your coffee and enjoy a great view. The location is very close to the Visitor Center (5 minutes of driving).

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great place this national park. i will try to visit this place

    ReplyDelete