Saturday, October 11, 2014

My scariest experience on the road


Rocky Mountain is my favorite national park. This is despite the fact that I had my scariest experience there. It encompasses about 265,000 acres, with over 60 peaks topping above 12,000 feet. 350 miles of meandering trails through the park makes it a paradise for a hiker.




Having all these in mind, I set out on the adventure on an early Saturday morning. I flew to Denver with 6am flight, then drove for one and a half hours to Este Park. I did the hiking alone, then got altitude sickness while on the hiking trails by the cliff due to the elevation. It was the highest elevation that I had ever been to.  That was the moment I could not stop thinking "what if I died today?"



one of the narrow hiking trails by the cliff


This got me a little scared, as no one was around to help in case of an emergency. I had no hat, no sunglasses, no medicines.  It was in the middle of the day in summer.  The sun was bright and some trails were partially icy.  And my phone got no signal and no GPS.  I got recovered from that strange sickness after resting in the shade for a while.


I had not told my family of the hotel in which I would be staying in and the thought of never being found if I fell off constantly haunted me. Lessons learned.  Ever since that time, I send my family all my travel itineraries and confirmation.  And no more long distance hiking alone.







The different conditions in the Rocky Mountain national park make the experience there more exciting. Some of the hiking routes that I found to be among the best were Ute Trail and Chasm Lake. Ute Trail has amazing panoramic views that one can enjoy without having to climb to the high altitudes. Chasm Lake on the other hand allowed me to have a perfect view of the Long Peak wall, famously known as the “Diamond”.  I would go back to the Rockies for hiking in a heartbeat.

"The mountains are calling, and I must go" -John Muir

19 comments:

  1. I admire you being brave enough to even attempt going hiking up there. Must have been quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Thank you! It was very adventurous.

      Delete
  2. Geez. ur crazy. crazy awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! The story is amaZing!! I would have felt unconcious from the very beginnig :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Thanks so much for checking out!

      Delete
  4. I commend you for even attempting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure if I could even think of doing something like this,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got out of that and made it out alive. I would have panicked and lost my mind if I was up there all alone. This world is dangerous sometimes and going places like this alone is very dangerous. Anyways, glad everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was a crazy mistake. Nothing is more important than safety.

      Delete
  7. Sandra M.10/30/2014

    It’s inspiring to see that the difficulties didn't stop you from traveling solo. Be safe in future travels Kate. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. No, nothing can ever stop me from traveling.

      Delete
  8. Thanks God you are alive to tell the story. It sounds so scary. Hiking is fun when you go with people. I can imagine how you felt while there alone. I've also learnt to tell people where I am even on short adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an adventure but safety is way more important. Thanks Eddie.

      Delete
  9. Wow, I'm glad you are safe, I would probably have died up there myself, as I'm not experienced. Anyways, I must say, I still want to visit The Rocky Mountain, I'll just make sure not to go too high and to have a friend or two with me.

    ReplyDelete