Saturday, October 4, 2014

How to Travel to the Bahamas on a Budget

View from the Wings
The Bahamas is one of the most expensive tourist destinations in the world. This place has earned itself this spot due to the many attraction sites. But there comes a burden of it being expensive. Some tourists avoid Bahamas due to its expensive nature. Lodging in Bahamas is very expensive and discourages most people out of this destination. You can get fairly priced hotels ranging from $75. But you came all the way to this unique island country and you should stay at a nice beach front resort.  Transportation here is also expensive if you take the flat rate taxis. 


Here’s how you can travel to Bahamas on budget:

Take a Walk
Atlantis, Paradise Island
There are some places while in Bahamas that is better off to walk than getting into a taxi. For instance, a walk through the bridge of Nassau is much better than taking ferry, which you will probably spend $6 each way.  Take the Jitney (mini bus) which costs $1.25 (US bills and coins are acceptable everywhere).  When I travel, I walk everywhere.  It is the perfect exercise that keeps you in shape.  When you see something that interests you, you can stop and check out that place.  No need to find a parking spot.  You can learn about local people and their culture closely.  And you might find some hidden gems.



Get Down to the Local Shops to find Food
British Colonial Hilton Resort
If you go for the food that are reserved for tourists in the big hotels then you will have to spend so much. The best thing to do is to get to the local shops and get a decent meal at a reduced price. 
Bahamian Meal
A tested example is a local shop right across Hilton British Colonial Hotel where you can get delicious Bahamian meals ranging from$7-12.  You probably won't find any tourist at that place.  I had Bahamian rice, fish and conch at that local take out which was located right across the street from my hotel for a couple times.  The taste of the food was truly life changing.  I found a lot of local places on yelp.


Always Use Travel Credit Cards
Atlantis Resort
This is a good way of saving since credit cards usually offer some bonuses that you can enjoy while on your stay.  
Cable Beach
I flew to NAS on frequent flyer miles and stayed at Hilton British Colonial Nassau Resort on Hilton HHonors points.


Do Not Spend your Money on Unnecessary Items
Disney Cruise on Nassau Harbor
No need to spend money on souvenirs while at Bahamas. The Straw Market is the place you might end up spending a lot of money on souvenirs.  You can pick some local items and make a collection out of them, but don’t spend too much.  To me, I need to own a place first before buying and colleting unnecessary stuff.

With the above tips in mind you can never find it hard to enjoy your vacation in Bahamas. Also remember to use Yelp for deals, reviews and directions for local restaurants and activities.


26 comments:

  1. Manaw Phyu10/05/2014

    nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to go to the Bahamas but never did because of the cost. Thanks so much for pointing this out as we can pretty much do anything and be frugal at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must visit the Bahamas and let me know your awesome experience.

      Delete
  3. sometimes time is more valuable than saving money. walking takes a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      I took Heathrow Express from London Airport to the city. People say that it's the most experience train in the world, in fact in per miles terms. I could have taken buses and tubes, but the time was much more valuable for me than saving some money. Plus London is a large city. Not a walking distance.

      Delete
    2. u made me want to go to london

      Delete
  4. Adventurous Ted10/08/2014

    Loved your blog and your articles. Great posts. Great travels. How about a boyfriend Kate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ted.
      I answered the similar question somewhere in this blog.
      I am happy being single or being in a relationship. But when I'm in a relationship, (: it has to be with someone who is really special.
      When that person comes along, absolutely I'm there.

      Delete
  5. Kristin10/08/2014

    I am much older than you and have been travelling on my own for a couple years now. Absolutely love your travel photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kristin. Do you have a travel blog?

      Delete
  6. Nice place, hope i will travel here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon10/09/2014

    It is easy to spend a lot when staying in the Bahamas. These are very good tips on staying frugal while visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely wan to visit the Bahamas and will make sure I don't overspend thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful time in the Bahamas!

      Delete
  9. write more post like this. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great to know as there is never an excuse to blow your budget on anything for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to open the door of your passion, but still watch your budget.

      Delete
  11. I agree with everything in the article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like your profile picture.

      Delete
  12. Having a good budget when traveling anywhere is tough, but it's nearly impossible when going to the Bahamas, so I must say thanks for sharing these ways of traveling there on a budget. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that this post helped.

      Delete
  13. Well thank you for the tips. I wish I could afford to go to the Bahamas, but I doubt even on a budget I could afford it. I will try to though, one day! :)

    ReplyDelete