Sunday, October 19, 2014

7 Reasons Why Myanmar should be your Next Destination

I received emails from readers asking why I had never posted a photo or wrote about my home country.  Here’s my number one reason: I feel guilty that I have never gone back home since I left the country.  I was born there, grew up there, and finished my high school there, and then I moved to America by myself for college.  I learned how to read and write English in grade school, but I barely spoke English when I arrived.  Everything here is so different from where I grew up.  My family and friends are still in Burma.  I am going to travel everywhere in the country for 3 or 4 weeks (see my bucket list).  I am prioritizing to visit the places that I have never been to and going back to Asia has not happened yet. 

There are many reasons why you should visit Myanmar, which is better known as Burma.  You will have a life changing travel experience in Burma.  Here are 7 reasons why:
   
Shwe Dagon Pagoda.  Yangon State.
Photo Source: myanmartravel.org
To see the largest and the oldest golden Pagoda on earth
Shwe Dagon Pagoda is also known in English as the great Dagon Pagoda. It has a history dating for over 2500 years ago. Kings and queens have donated their hard-earned gold to this historical site to make it a gold rich site. Another ton of gold has been added lately when there was a renovation.
Shwe Dagon is located in the city of Yangon and I have been there numerous times.



Kyaiktiyo Pagoda.  Mon State.
Photo Source: myanmartravel.org
To look up to the 2400 year old golden rock pagoda on the edge of the cliff
Another historic site in Burma is where the golden rock lies. Its position at the edge of a cliff is what has amused many visitors coming to this region. It is considered a sacred place to be. There have been earthquakes in Myanmar destroying even some of the buildings that have been thought to be strong but this golden rock in Kyaiktiyo has still stood at its exact location at the edge of a cliff.


Mingun Bell.  Sagaing State.
Photo Source: Mystical Myanmar
To ring the largest ringing bell on the planet
If you have ever wanted to ring the largest ringing bell then you should visit Myanmar. Mingun is the largest ringing bell in the world. It weighs 90.55 metric tons and is 26 feet high. It is one thing to ring a bell and yet a completely different thing to ring the largest ringing bell in the world. It gives you so much pride that you can brag about to your friends. There is a place beneath it where visitors can take photos.




To see the largest reclining Buddha in the entire universe
Shwethalyaung Buddha.  Pegu State.
Photo Source: wiki
This is yet another tourist’s attraction site. Shwethalyaung is the largest reclining Buddha images. The image measures 55 meters long and 16 meters high. It is a true depiction of Buddha just before death and entering into Nirvana. 
It is a special site for historians and those who love ancient structures for it was built so long ago, believed to be in the year 994 during the reign of Mon king Migadepa.




Bagan.  Mandalay State.
Photo Source: National Geographic
To explore over thousands of ancient temples in one city named Bagan
Bagan is one of the most popular cities in Myanmar. The city is popular because of the many temples in it. If you want to experience the good feeling that comes with temples around you then Bagan is the place. There are over 4000 decorated temples within a region covering 26 square miles.
I visited Bagan once, and I can't wait to go back there.


Inle Lake.   Shan State.
Photo Source: WikiMedia
To find leg Rowers nowhere else but in Inle
Another of the famous of attractions in Burma is found in Inle. It is at this place that you will find leg rowers. They do it so faster that you tend to wonder why it never materialized in other places. It is an experience that is not in any other place apart from Inle.






To taste the best spicy food in the world
It is true that Asia, the continent, produces the best delicacies in the world. The best spicy food can be found not just in Asia but specifically in Burma. If you like spicy food, you should visit Burma for a tasty meal.

Myanmar was isolated from the rest of the world for decades.  It used to be hard to get a Visa for the tourist to visit.  It has changed a lot in the past few years.  Tourists and travelers are more than welcome, though you still need a Visa in advance.  Maximum stay is 30 days. 

If you are searching for a unique country to travel to, there is only one piece of advice I can give you today: Pack your stuff now.  And go to Myanmar.  And tell me your experience and make me feel guiltier.


"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  -Lao Tzu


37 comments:

  1. To be honest I have not given Myanmar much thought, however after what you have noted, it sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Glad to know that this post informed you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for writing about Myanmar. I really like your travel blog and will visit regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for all your feedback.

      Delete
  3. I luv u 4 this post. very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u. i love myanmar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10/24/2014

    UR the braviest and most adventurous myanmar girl I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, (: I don't know if you actually met, but thanks so much for your compliment.

      Delete
  6. woow... many helpful tips... and information....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very gorgeous and beautiful place to go. I've heard nothing but great things about Myanmar and a friend of mine even went there, so I figure I could maybe get her to go with me soon. Sounds like a lot of fun though, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily. Hope you get your own experience of Myanmar with your friend next time.

      Delete
  8. Bunny Layy10/27/2014

    yay for myanmar +1 +1 :0) :0) :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanda Oo10/27/2014

    The food in Myanmar is exceptional. Beer is cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too young to drink, but everyone said Mandalay Beer was the best.

      Delete
  10. I have never been to Asia but if I will go, probably next year, Myanmar will definitely be the place to visit. I just wonder why you left the place. It has some of the most amazing sites, if this post is anything to go by. Can't wait to ring the BELL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't regret leaving Myanmar. Sad but no regrets. Life is too short to wait. I trusted my intuition on new opportunities. That doesn't mean I didn't love my home country.

      Delete
  11. I don't why you left such a beautiful place?? I gonna make a point of going to taste the food there. I also hear that beer is cheap. Give more details on the cuisine please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write about Burmese food. Thanks for the blog post ideas!

      Delete
  12. thuyein win10/29/2014

    myanmar loves you. i love u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: I love Myanmar and I love my people.

      Delete
  13. I was planing to visit Myanmar for many days but i have no clean idea about there most beautiful sights.Now i got everything what i needed to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do a lot of research before you go and book ahead of time. Hotels are overpriced due to lack of capacity at the hot spots like Bagan.

      Delete
  14. I loved every reason what you pointed out for traveling Myanmar,really it is one of the most beautiful country which one should visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing very great staff for the travel loving people,i like your all article,keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michel. Travel is my greatest passion and I make it important part of my life. Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  16. Anonymous11/03/2014

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You mean to say that all these attractions are in one country?? Then it must be a great place to be. How is the economy of Myanmar fairing? I bet tourism is their backbone.. Will visit there in future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all in Myanmar. Myanmar is a fairly large country. Tourism recently become hot industry recently. Hope you will make it soon!

      Delete
  18. ADEGOKE11/21/2014

    Myanmar is hot spot now. Hotels are so expensive. I will wait for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very true. That's part of the reason I'm not going home yet. I want to travel across the country for a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  19. i like this places and try to visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myanmar is a hot spot for tourists and travelers now. Hope you will make it.

      Delete