Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunday Travel Photo #13: Denali, Alaska


Denali National Park.  Fall 2011.


Denali Overview
Denali is a national park and preserve located in Alaska. The park occupies over 6 million acres of land, while the preserve occupies over 1.3 million acres of land. Denali was officially signed into law on February 26, 1917 by Woodrow Wilson, the President of the United States back then.

Top Attractions At Denali

There are numerous attractions that will keep you entertained if you ever find yourself in Denali, Alaska.

1. Husky Homestead
Do you want to enjoy a warm welcome when you arrive at Denali? Then simply find your way to Husky Homestead and you are sure to get the warmest welcome ever. At Husky Homestead, Jeff King and his staffs will give you a perfect treat. You will hear sled dog race stories from the very mouth of Jeff King. This is one place you wouldn't want to miss when you visit Denali in Alaska.

2. Mount McKinley
This is the most popular part of the park. Mount McKinley which is about 20,320-feet is America's tallest peak. Mount McKinley has an amazing view that words can't even express. If you visit this mountain on a clear day, you will totally love the view of the mountain and its splendor. So if you ever find yourself near Anchorage in Alaska, make it your priority to visit Denali and have a view of this mountain.

3. Wonder Lake
This is a perfect location for canoeing and other water activities. The views this part of Denali National Park and Preserve gives are so beautiful and spectacular. Wonder Lake and all the fun embedded in it await you at Denali.  

4. Sled Dog Demonstration Ground
If you are a lover of dogs, then this is the ideal location for you. Here you will get to witness the sled dog presentation, and you will totally love it. The dogs at Denali National Park are very friendly, so you need not entertain any form of fear when you are this area of Denali National Park.

How To Get To Denali
There is one direct entrance road into Denali National Reserve and that is via Alaska Highway 3.  Generally, Denali is about 120 miles South of Fairbanks, 240 miles North of Anchorage and 12 miles South of Healy.
I flew to ANC, visited Anchorage and the surrounding area, took the Portage Glacier cruise, then drove to Denali.  My Alaskan trip was exceptionally memorable.  I promised the moose that I would be back to see them again.  I have never seen the northern lights, meaning I have to go back to Alaska.  I stayed at Bed and Breakfast in Anchorage - my room was named "Denali".


 “No matter where you go, there you are.” – Buckaroo Banzi 

20 comments:

  1. Rachel9/29/2014

    Alaska always looks so amazing. The scenery looks breath-taking and seems like a world apart. It's a place I really wish to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love Alaska. Try to make it sooner than later!

      Delete
  2. I was out there in late September a few years ago. It was too late for all the tourism stuff. Seems they close up shop later in the year when winter is rolling in. But great article and yes, Alaska is a great piece of America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September is a bit late. You miss the mid night sun and it starts to get cold. I went there on the first week of September. It was a bit chilly.

      Delete
  3. Looks like the must visit place. I will pin it in my travel map :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great. (: Glad that this post helps.

      Delete
  4. I'd want to go for the Northern Lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in my bucket list. I will make that happen!

      Delete
  5. I have always been curious about Alaska as I know of several who have visited and had positive things to say about it. I love visiting your blogs as you go into detail about your traveling experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many places that I have never been to in this amazing world. I feel so accomplished that I made it to Alaska.

      Delete
  6. Mary Kline10/03/2014

    I always wanted to go to Alaska for the Summer Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to experience the summer solstice!

      Delete
  7. Alaska is extremely nice in the summer and really would love to visit. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really plan to go now. Tomorrow is too late.

      Delete
  8. I hear it is gorgeous there! It is great that you had an opportunity to visit Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people want to go to Alaska and they never make it. You just have to get up and go. It's not that far from the mainland.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing Kate. I have never been to Alaska, but have always wanted to because of it's beautiful scenery and the culture that comes with it. Can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that state so much! I have To go back there to see the northern lights.

      Delete
  10. Did you get a chance to ride on a sled while you were there? I've always thought that would be such a fun thing to do. They make it seem like such an adventure on those Alaskan survival shows. Hope I can visit this place one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to do any of those fun stuff. ): You have to go further north for it.

      Delete