Friday, September 26, 2014

5 Ways to Save Money for Travel

The estimated amount that you spend on travel usually sounds too much.  Every time I talk about frequent traveling, people mention that it’s too expensive.  If you love traveling, open the door of your passion.  I am living my life on purpose.  People say they can’t afford to travel.  That is true to some extent but there is a remedy for it. It involves saving money. There is so much you do with money without exploring the option of saving that extra cash. 

Arches, Utah

Here below are some of the ways that you can save money for travel without sacrificing your daily comfort.

1. Reduce Caffeine Addiction

Americans are known to spend so much money on coffee daily. It sounds like a mere $2 or $5 when it is just for a day but when added up for a long period of time, the money can sum up to reasonable amount for some travel expenses. Every little thing counts.  You can actually reduce the coffee intake or simply brew coffee at home, which will be more cost efficient.

2. Leave or Reduce Alcohol Addiction

Stopping the alcohol addiction is not only beneficial to your health but also helpful in saving you some money, which can be used for travel. Therefore, you should consider letting go off alcohol and some parties that are known to make people overspend their hard earned money.  Have a movie night with friends at home with some beer and wine, instead of going out in regular basic.


3. Cut down the cost of Cable

Do not be addicted to TV but rather choose to save the cable money for travel. Cable bill may cost more than $100 per month and hence it can be avoided if possible.  I can watch any news that I am interested to watch on the internet.  Ever since I gave away my TV to people who needed it way more than I do, I get to read books more than ever before.


Big Ben, London

4. Find the Side Jobs

You can decide to do an extra job after your normal working hours. This will help in hastening your savings for that desired travel. And if you don’t have a destination in mind, then I suggest you think of one for it is good to work hard and reward yourself with a traveling holiday.  If you get an opportunity to work over time at your full time job, take it as long as you are compensated.


5. Reduce Car Usage

You save on fuel by reducing the car usage per day. I walk for forty minutes every weekday while I can't hit the gym. You can also do that to save on fuel and use the money for your travel expenses. It is a perfect way to keep yourself in shape.  I walk everywhere whenever I travel.  I walked for 8 miles in Washington DC.  I walked across the bridge from Nassau to Paradise Island in the Bahamas.  It’s a good exercise and you can also do the same to cut on costs when traveling. 

World War II Memorial, Washington DC


"It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy".  –George Lorimer


39 comments:

  1. Rachel9/29/2014

    This list hit a certain chord with me. The caffeine addiction! It gets insane and totally costs you lot's of money in the end. So true. Another great list. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Thank you! Budgeting can be tough at the beginning, in general. But if you are working towards a goal like backpacking to Europe or a nice vacation in Caribbean, it will make budgeting easier.

      Delete
  2. Nia M.9/29/2014

    Wow Kate, this post is truly inspiring. I have been following you on social network

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nia. I recognize your name. (: Welcome and thank you for all your messages.

      Delete
  3. Zin Mar Khine10/01/2014

    Money is always a issue for many and they plan there travel according to there budget these advice's are good and yes one can save lot money if he/she follow these advice's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Do you live in Burma or somewhere else in the world? (: I love seeing Burmese names.

      Delete
  4. I think the cost of cable one is a big key. I cut the cord and just have Hulu/Netflix and basic cable. Saving $110/month now. It will really open up your budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Netflix is a great alternative.

      Delete
  5. Everything you say is all true. Cutting on cable is something I know I must do and it is very easy to find side jobs. Freelancing is on the rise and everyone can get a piece of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babysitting, pet sitting, housesitting or tutoring. They are all fun jobs.

      Delete
    2. absolutely admire you for that. +1

      Delete
  6. #6: Buy a Brita water filter and save money on bottled water haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I don't usually buy water unless I have to.

      Delete
    2. water bottles are expensive

      Delete
  7. i like Nickelodeon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great indoor theme park.

      Delete
    2. I think Zar Ni was talking about Nickelodeon park from Mall of America, the different post.

      Delete
  8. I will save money starting today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to get rid of my landline, great tips! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with cable big time, but it also helps not to spend money on frivolous things. I actually only have Netflix and Hulu plus and that is perfect for me and I get to watch most of my favorite shows this way. Anyways, thanks again for sharing, very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sasha!
    I watched 3 movies on Netflix last night, for the first time in years. Very entertaining. It costs less than 10 bucks a month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've cut down the cost of soda and caffeine related products, so far so good. I used to spend around $50 a month on soda alone, and now, that I cut that out, I can save that amount per month. It's a win-win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great. That's $600/yr saving for travel!

      Delete
  13. I agree and my hobby is travel. i like this blog and posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that. I appreciate your feedback!

      Delete
  14. It is very difficult for me to avoid moving without my car but the benefits you are indicating, I will follow a few tips for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i will travel very soon, love you kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get up and go! Life is too short to do nothing.

      Delete
  16. I should really travel more but the cost is very prohibitive. I don't just want to travel to local destinations. I want to get out and see the big wide world and go to all these amazing spots you are visiting. How do you find deals on airline travel to places such as Costa Rica? It must cost a lot of money to travel there. It's my dream destination, so I would really love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Paris,
    The flight to Costa Rica is usually expensive but it doesn't cost much to travel from one place to another in the country. And the food is very cheap. I would travel during off-peak season and watch for lower fares. Sign up for Low fare alert to Costa Rica at airefarewatchdog.com. I flew to Costa Rica with my frequent flyer miles so it costed me tax and small fees. Hope you will make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Great piece of ideas. Thank You Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many many thanks for your tips,money is a major problem the time traveling and I thing now we got the solution from your article.

    ReplyDelete