Friday, September 19, 2014

5 Tips for Traveling with a Pet

Have you ever considered traveling to your preferred destination with your pet? Well, many people see that as an impossible thing but the truth of the matter is that it is very possible and it is really fun to bring your beloved one with you. But in as much as it sounds easy, still there are some considerations that have to be taken to ensure that the travel is smooth. This week, I have some tips for traveling with a pet.




Prepare Your Pet for the Travel
Not all pets are used to travel and hence you should make your pet prepared for the travel, more especially if it is a long road trip. If your pet has never been to a road trip before, it is good to test it with short distance travel to see its reaction. From the reaction you can know how to deal with it on a road trip.  Research the hotels that allow pets.  La Quinta Inn (no pet fees) is Leo’s favorite.  He also likes Holiday Inn (pet fee is around $20 a night).



Restrict Your Pet During Travel
Most people usually think that it is fun to let your pet do whatever it feels like. For instance, letting dogs get their heads outside the window while you drive. Such actions pose great danger to the pet.  I don’t recommend it.  And never ever leave your pet unattended in the parked car for more than a few minutes.   



Carry a Travel Kit for Your Pet
While you prepare your travel kit for that road trip, you should also make arrangements for your pet to have one that will suit its need. 

Have Regular Breaks
Pets require some breaks to give them time to stretch out a bit. It is better for you to do that so that you make your pet lively throughout the road trip.



Entertain Your Pet

Some soft music works well with some pets such as cats. Therefore you can entertain your pet by putting some music in the car.  I know that sounds crazy but Leo appreciates that.




Leo is a strange cat who can’t live without car rides.  He’s weird.  I love him and his brother Dash Dash who truly hates car rides.  Here’s their blog.

If the above tips are considered, then you will have a god road trip with your pet and both of you will come out of the road trip fully satisfied.  I have taken many so road trips with Leo my copilot.  He has been to 5 states.


16 comments:

  1. Kyaw Swar9/20/2014

    nice, but always choose hotel which allow pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely right. I forgot to mention that not all hotels allow pets. Some only allows service dogs. Some destinations like small towns near national parks in Utah - it's very hard find a hotel for Leo.

      Delete
  2. Candice9/22/2014

    Great tips on traveling with your pet. It is a good reminder that there are pet friendly hotels and there is no need to board your pet at some kennel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha my cat loves car rides too! She will usually sit across my shoulders, behind my neck against the headrest while watching out the side window.

    Great article and Leo seems like a cool cat, no pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an awesome cat. (: Great to know that he's not the only weirdo who loves car rides.

      Delete
  4. This is why I got pet coverage in my auto insurance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Kline10/03/2014

    Cute cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to know as I would love to take my furry kids on trips with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great trip with your furry children!

      Delete
  7. I never thought of giving my cat a nice car ride. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I never traveled with a pet though, mainly because I feel it's too much pressure, but I may give it a try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too much pressure. (: Pets are great travel companions.

      Delete
  8. I have not yet traveled with a pet, but I fear I'd end up having more problems if I bring a pet. Then again since I never tried, I should give it a shot one of these days. Would make traveling alone a lot more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs and Cats are great companions for traveling.

      Delete