Saturday, July 26, 2014

Traveling Alone is Fun and Exciting

Traveling alone is interesting, and many ways exist for making your plans better.  Here's some tips for your next solo travel:

Silver Falls
In this internet era, booking online is a best way to start your vacation planning.  Make the most of your travel budget by booking air travel, rental cars and hotels online where you can easily access reviews and photos of hotels for quick comparison.  I'm a budget traveler, but I don't sacrifice my safety or comfort just to save some money.  Customer rating and review are very reliable.  I follow Airfarewatchdog for last minute air fare deals, discounts and sometimes mistake fares.

Generally, you can save money when you book flights with one or even more connecting flights.  But check the layover times to make sure it is feasible.  I had 5 hour layover time when I was on solo trip to South Dakota, but I got a lot of work and studying done, and even created a blog post.  I chose that fight because it was the least expensive flight from SFO to RAP for the entire July, the peak summer time.  The layover can definitely put you at the airport waiting for several hours.  If you don't get access to the club lounge, Waiting on seats for hours at the departure gate is definitely more painful.

Georgia Aquarium
Give your itinerary to at least one family member.  My family enjoys many annoying travel confirmation emails that I forward to them every time I travel.  The itineraries should include the address and numbers of your destinations, in case you disappear.

Pack a small bag of clothespins; you would be amazed at how useful these will turn out to be.  Many hotel bathrooms provide clothesline right above the bathtub.  I didn't even notice them until I started traveling solo with my 75L backpack.

Hogwarts at Oxford University
Don't spend time lounging at the hotel buffet.  Head to the hotel gym, pool or walking track.  You can stay fit and energized when traveling.  I get more exercise when I travel.  I walk everywhere as long as it's safe to walk and it's a descent walking distance, instead of paying for transportation.

Travel can be a great educational tool for your personal and professional life.  Traveling to foreign lands provides you with and ideal opportunity to teach the younger generation about how the workings of the world beyond your own country, and it is also completely safe.

Rather than exchanging dollars for the currency of the country at the airport in which you are traveling, use an ATM which gives a better exchange rate than what an individual has access to.  Many people think that using ATM will cost a lot of fees or commissions.  Check out Charles Schwab Bank.  No ATM fees.  Unlimited ATM fees rebates worldwide.  Credit cards with no foreign transaction fees are my first choice, but I found out that a lot of small businesses and venting machines for express buses tickets in the UK and Ireland charge small credit card fees.

Taking a solo trip can be quite exciting, as you see new places and always learn new things.  If you're new to solo travel, you'll make a mistakes for the first few trips.  But that will make you improve your future travel plans.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new".  -Albert Einstein

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have noticed that there are a lots of reviews (visitors both and managers) with the detailed price comparisons and impressions upon a visit...
    I was surprised with some people actually enjoy to be set with the cheaper condo plus some bugs crawling around plus very low general opinion.... They don't mind. If you ask me I will prefer something more expensive but clean.

    Booking online is much cheaper doe, I agree on that. Still, I will rethink traveling alone. Bad experience I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau

      Delete