Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How to avoid expensive and hidden travel extras

University of Oxford
Taking a trip can be tons of fun.  This world has an infinite number of destinations to explore and experience.  The chance to encounter people and culture that differ from your own is intriguing, but it is also possible to plan simpler trips.  Here's the thing.  There are lots of treasures that can be found near you, or wherever you go, if you have an idea of where to look. 


University of Edinburgh



As you plan your vacation, try and be open minded about the destination.  While you may have your favorites, checking out new places in the area.  Visiting Universities cost less money than touring the most tourist attractions.  There are so much to learn at the University campuses.  




Rocky Mountain National Park
If you are a motorcycle enthusiast, riding a bike can make a wonderful solo trip.  The ride is so enjoyable, it uses little gas and can move quickly in heavy traffic.  Check out travelbuddies.com to find fellow travelers that you can share your time with and talk to, and maybe split the transportation costs if you get along.  This lets you make friends and share experiences to avoid making mistakes or missing some great spots on your own trip.



The White House
Most car rental outfits do not rent to those under 18, and some do not rent to those under 25.  If you're under that age, you may need to pay a higher rate, or extra fees.  Just to be aware of that, in case you don't know.  Your car insurance policy may already provide you with some of the coverage you will need, to drive a rental car.  My policies include some basic coverage for third party liability.  I also have credit cards that cover car rental loss and damage.  You don't need to buy expensive collision coverage at the car rental place.  That will lower the amount on your rental car bill.



Pinnacle National Park
(that's me lifting the gigantic rock)
Check the carry-on policy with the airline you are traveling with.  Most airlines will allow a small carry-on along with something like a backpack or a purse.  Spirit Airlines charges fees for carry-on luggage.  It can cost up to $100 per luggage (if you don't pay ahead of time during check-in) as of July 2014.

That is all I have to write about for today.  There will be so much more to write about in near future.  Our world is one enormous place for exploring.  There will always be a destination perfectly suited for you to visit.  Regardless of where you want to travel, a new destination is always waiting to be explored.


9 comments:

  1. I have already failed in the way how I was looking for the inexpensive ( read very cheap. money savvy and so on) ways to plan and schedule my trips., and it is not so fun.
    Idea of visiting some Universities sounds logical. They cost less and can provide experience, as you have said.
    Renting a car is completely redundant in my case. I prefer to travel by train. Fun is almost inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trains are not available in most places. America is a huge country. Public transportation is not available everywhere. You need a car to commute, unless you live in the major cities.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8/01/2014

    Talking about hidden, I went to Europe few years back, I thought that Italy is fun. I didn't know what half of my package includes. Then we had to switch hotels and ended up in the less expensive with really bad catering. Almost the same situation with Austria. Maybe I just run out of luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Italy or Austria! Will be there in near future. :)
      Travel can be expensive and exhausting if you don't plan ahead of time.

      Delete
  3. I agree on high expenses , but I don't usually spend on the main cause, but on all those little things. I always want to buy stuff, or I spend too much for the food.... Stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be like you too. Every little thing counts and all adds up. I am very careful with my budget for travel now.

      Delete
  4. Another nice post!

    ReplyDelete