Friday, July 4, 2014

Badlands


Badlands National park is located in the western side of South Dakota and East to the Black Hills. Simply taking a look at the landscape at Badlands is more than enough to make you feel like you’ve traveled to prehistoric times. This is something that can easily be described as a geological wonderland.
 
The Big Badlands

Pinnacles Overlook

Pinnacles Overlook

Yellow Mounds Overlook

Conata Basin Overlook

Homestead Overlook
All the formations in this area have been around for millions of years and you can actually see the layers mounted one on top of the other due to the color changes that seem to be perfectly drawn in the rock formations. 
 

Panorama Point


White River Valley Outlook





Badland Loops Road



Fossil Exhibit Trail



Fossil from extinct animals who lived at Badlands 23 to 35 millions years ago.






Castle Trail


Ben Reifel visitor center is the perfect first stop for those who visit the park.
Fossils at Ben Reifel Visitor Center (Park Headquarter)

 





Door / Window Trail


Big Badlands Outlook


Prairie dogs were no where to be seen.  I tried to find them everywhere.  They were hiding from me.

Motel near Badlands National Park


Badlands National Park is my 23rd National Park visited.

List of 23 National Parks: 

 Denali (AK), Hawaii Volcanoes (HI), Olympic (WA), Redwood (CA), Lassen Volcanic (CA), Yosemite (CA), Sequoia (CA), Kings Canyon (CA), Channel Islands (CA), Pinnacles (CA), Death Valley (CA), Joshua Tree (CA), Petrified Forest (AZ), Arches (UT), Zion (UT), Grand Canyon (AZ), Yellowstone (WY, ID & MT), Grand Teton (WY), Wind Cave (SD), Badlands (SD), Rocky Mountain (CO), Great Smoky Mountains (TN & NC) and Everglades (FL).



6 comments:

  1. sarah evanston7/24/2014

    I have heard a lot of people say that this is a boring place, but I went anyway and it was spectacular! I saw it the way you did and it was one of the most majestic places I have ever been. When I showed the naysayers my photos, they couldn't believe their eyes. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. National Parks might be boring to young people. Every NP is unique. I appreciate what nature has to offer.

      Delete
  2. Aw. wow gorgeous snaps. All you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was another solo adventure. I got a lot of attention with my selfie stick. It's a cool toy. Most people have never seen one.

      Delete
  3. WayneR9/17/2014

    Really great pictures. I haven't been to the Badlands since I was a child. I plan on taking my kids there some day. Thank you for the pictures and bringing back great memories of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and the kids will make it there soon!

      Delete